We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

If there is a trust dispute, it's time to look at resolving it

You have a trust that you believe should go to you. You have a sibling who doesn't believe you deserve everything that the trust contains. This conflict has been going on for weeks, and it's souring your feelings about your inheritance.

Disputes about inheritances are common. It's not unusual for someone to be upset that they weren't included in a trust or that they weren't willed everything that they thought they'd receive. They may claim that you took part in underhanded means to get what you want, such as by influencing your parent to leave you more or manipulating the will when your loved one lacked the capacity to make decisions.

It's hurtful to deal with situations like this, but it's good for you to know that you can handle it. Your attorney can help you with this trust dispute, so that the entire situation can be resolved and you can go back to your life without unresolved conflicts.

Trusts: Why would there be a conflict?

Trusts usually don't require court oversight, and they are set up by the person who passed away. The decedent set the rules of the trust.

There may be times when trusts come into question, though. For example, your sibling might believe that your parent was influenced to add a greater number of assets to your trust or that they were manipulated into reducing the size of another trust on your behalf. They may intend to contest the trust in court as well.

Your sibling might be asking if your parent actually had the capacity to create the trust if it was created recently. They may argue that they didn't have the capacity to do so. If they were to win that argument, then the trust may be eliminated and the assets distributed in a different manner than what your parent intended.

Trusts are generally straightforward, but disputes can be complex. If you're concerned about a dispute over a trust that is supposed to be yours, then it's worth talking to your attorney about it. If this is a case where a lawsuit could be filed, you may also be interested in learning more about mediating the conflict.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map