We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

Worried about the executor? You can ask the court for a new one

You and your sibling both want to take a primary role in your parents' estate plan. You feel that you have more education, time and money to help them settle the estate when the time comes. Your sibling thinks that they should be the executor, because they want to be in control of making sure your parents' wishes are understood and carried out.

The problem is that your parents have assigned your uncle to be the executor, and both of you disagree with that decision. He has said before that you and your sister shouldn't get anything out of the estate. He isn't friendly to you and is clearly biased.

Both of you agree that you want to have an impartial executor in place. You don't think your uncle is a good choice, because he isn't particularly good with money, is unfair to you and your sister, and has a history of making bad decisions. What should you do?

If you're concerned about the executor of the will, talk to your attorney about replacing them

If you are truly worried that your uncle will mismanage the estate or use the estate's funds in a way that isn't best for the beneficiaries or the estate itself, talk to your attorney. Your attorney can talk to you about what an executor can or cannot do and what you can do if you believe that your uncle is not competent enough for the role.

What can't an executor do?

An executor is the fiduciary to the estate, and they must act in the best interests of the estate all the time. Executors are not supposed to conduct affairs of the estate to benefit themselves, especially if they are also beneficiaries listed in the estate.

If there is a conflict of interests, the court does have the power to address the issues. If you want to get your uncle removed as the executor, you will need to prove that he had engaged in misconduct or was incompetent. Misconduct may come in various forms, from failing to pay debts to paying for personal expenses out of the estate's funds.

Overall, if you and your sibling agree that your uncle should not be the executor, it's time to collect evidence to submit to the court. If there is enough evidence, you may be able to get him removed and to have an impartial executor established instead.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map