We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

Can you leave your spouse out of your will?

In Minnesota, there can be estate situations in which a person wants to leave their spouse out of their will or other uncommon events. When this occurs, it is important that estate documents are drawn up correctly or there can be many complications among heirs.

Although it is uncommon, there are situations in which a person would want to disinherit their spouse. Disinheriting a spouse is not always because the spouses do not get along, but can be for financial reasons as well. A person may feel like their spouse has enough assets in their own name and a person would rather give the assets to other people. Or, a person wants to avoid an influx of estate taxes that could happen if their spouse's estate gets too large.

In Minnesota, a person cannot disinherit their spouse through their will or trust alone. Minnesota law says that a spouse will receive a "spousal share" of the estate. Even if a will is written to give all of the money to charity, or beneficiaries named in life insurance and IRAs are the children, the spouse will receive certain rights for the house and other monthly support.

There are three ways in which a spouse can agree to not receive their share of their spouse's estate. The first two are either a prenuptial agreement or a postnuptial agreement, in which a spouse agrees to forfeit certain property rights. The third way is through a consent sign on the will where a spouse accepts the terms of the will that completely disinherits him or her. Not every family is the same. Some may want to divide their assets in less traditional ways.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map