We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

Substance abuse can affect a person's estate

Despite how hard families may try, no Minnesota family is perfect. This can make for difficult estate planning for families who have issues in their family. Most parents want to give their children equal share of their estate, but when substance abuse is present it can lead to complications and probate litigation.

Having a child with a substance abuse is a heartbreaking situation for families. When it comes to estate planning, alcohol or drug abuse can cause problems. If a family makes the decision to not give the substance abuser any part of their estate, it can result in a will contest. Another problem that can occur is if parents leave the substance abuser's share of the estate to another sibling to disperse. This can also lead to many problems that may include creditor's taking the money that's designated for the substance abuser child to a divorce affecting the disbursement.

Despite a parent's best intentions, not all inheritances go as planned. Trying to account for a child who has a substance abuse is a tricky situation that often results in probate litigation. If a family finds themselves in this situation they may want to speak with a legal professional who specializes in estate litigation. An attorney understands the delicate nature that family issues involving inheritances can bring. They can help a family work through their issues using mediation techniques and helping to make sure the issues don't become more difficult.

It can be hard for parents to plan their estate when they have a child who is a substance abuser. These situations often involve probate disputes among the children and need legal help to resolve.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map