We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

3 signs your parent is a victim of undue influence

If you have an aging parent, you may have questions and concerns about what will happen to his or her estate. You may especially have worries if you suspect someone is manipulating your parent. The person you think may be exploiting your parent may be a romantic interest, family member or friend.

Someone your parent loves and trusts may use that power to unfairly influence the estate plan. If you think your mom or dad is the victim of pressure or persuasion to do something that is not in his or her best interests, you may need to take legal action. To help you determine whether there is something fishy going on, here are some warning signs of undue influence

1. Withdrawing from loved ones

Does your parent frequently make phone calls or even visits to you or someone else in your family? If this type of regular communication comes to a halt or reduces significantly, you may have a right to be suspicious. This is particularly worrisome if your parent is meeting with someone you think is taking the role of a manipulator at the same time. If this is happening, try to meet with your parent one-on-one to assess the situation. 

2. Seeing different professionals 

Your parent may have long-term relationships with certain legal and financial professionals, such as the following:

  • Financial advisors
  • Attorneys
  • Realtors
  • Stockbrokers

If he or she is suddenly changing these people, you should inquire about this decision. Someone may be manipulating him or her to go to different people to cover up shady actions.

3. Someone suddenly moving in

If something suddenly changes at the residence of your parent, something strange may be taking place. For example, if a sibling or new love interest suddenly moves in without any prior notice, this could be a sign that your parent is becoming a victim of undue influence. 

Make sure you increase your communication with your parent if you notice any of these things occurring. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map