We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

Can you contest an insurance beneficiary?

You may recognize that retirement plans and insurance policies do not receive quite the same treatment as wills when someone dies. In fact, while a will may have to go through probate, an insurance policy or retirement plan might avoid court scrutiny.

If you are in a situation where you believe that your loved one had outdated or wrong beneficiaries on the policy, is it possible for you to contest the beneficiaries? The answer is that in some situations, it is possible, but you will likely have to go through mediation, arbitration or court. Something such as writing to the insurance company and explaining the situation is insufficient.

Common scenarios involving naming the wrong person

In many situations, the deceased person had remarried yet left the first spouse as the beneficiary on an insurance policy or retirement account. Often, this is an honest mistake, which can be relatively easy to show if the rest of the deceased's estate planning shows a desire to include the second spouse and excludes the first spouse. However, it could get trickier if the insurance company shows that the deceased got in touch with the company recently and reiterated that the original beneficiary is the right one. It can also get muddled if the deceased's estate planning provides for the original beneficiary as well.

Also, a recent beneficiary change does not always indicate it is what the deceased wanted. For example, he or she could have had mild dementia or been pressured to make the change. 

Another common scenario in which the "wrong" person is on the account involves, ironically, the deceased naming a second spouse as beneficiary instead of the first. Say that in the divorce decree, the deceased agreed to keep the first spouse named, at least for a certain period of time, as part of the settlement or spousal support agreements. However, the deceased went ahead at some point and changed the name anyway.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map