We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

Can a personal representative or trustee be removed?

It is an all-too-common scenario for many Minnesotans-the personal representative of an estate not performing his duties. Is it possible to have the personal representative removed from the estate?

There are many ways a personal representative of an estate can abuse their duties. A personal representative may not sell the estate's home in a timely manner, which can result in the beneficiaries losing money if property valuation decreases. Or another common situation is when a personal representative uses the deceased person's bank accounts and assets for their own personal benefit. A personal representative may also intentionally hide assets or fail to obtain fair market value for property that is sold. These scenarios can have an impact on the amount of assets beneficiaries receive from the estate.

When a family has a trust dispute, such as removing a trustee or personal representative, an experienced attorney can provide direction and support. Beneficiaries will need to show that there is cause for removing a trustee. A trustee may fail to act on behalf of the trust terms, they may fail to meet obligations, or they may be involved in conflicts of interest or self-dealing. If the high standards are not met by a trustee, they can potentially be removed.

Having a trust dispute attorney on the beneficiary's side can help make the removal of the personal representative easier. An attorney can review with the family what their concerns are and advise them of their options. An attorney will work hard to protect their client's interests and make sure they receive the inheritance to which they are entitled.

Source:, "Can a trustee be removed from a trust?", David Montoya, accessed on July 23, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map