We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

Can you disinherit your children?

In a perfect world, your children would turn out just how you wanted, and you would be able to quietly pass on with the assurance that they are doing what you preferred with your assets and money. Unfortunately, in real life, this is not always the case, and there are times when you may need to consider disinheriting your children to protect the estate you have worked so hard to build.

You should never disinherit your children in anger, but if it is something you are seriously considering, there are a few things you should think through before making the final legal changes.

Disinheriting will not change behavior

Some parents hope to use the loss of an inheritance to influence behavior. While this may work in the short term, the chances of your progeny returning to the problematic behaviors after you are gone are high. If you want to control how your heirs act after you are gone, you may choose to put your money in a trust with someone who oversees the distribution of the money based on how the heirs are behaving.

Your intentions should be clear

If you plan to leave your children or another beneficiary out of your will, the conditions and terms should be made clear long before you are gone. Springing the surprise on possible heirs after you pass on will only create problems for those who do stand to inherit your estate.

Update your documents as necessary

You may have a child who is currently struggling and you choose to remove him from your will and estate plan. If that child later changes his behavior and you become comfortable with giving him his inheritance, do not forget that you need to change the information in your will before you die.

No matter what age you are, you should be revisiting your will and estate plan on a regular basis to determine if your wishes have changed or if you need to adjust. If you are concerned about whether you should disinherit your children and how to do it, speak to an attorney today.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map