We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

Do I have the right to contest my father's will?

If you have a parent or loved one who has passed away, the stress of the situation may minimize some of the legal proceedings that will take place. One of these, however, is the review and execution of the will. You may find that it has been unexpectedly altered prior to your father's passing to hand over the majority of his estate to one of his nurses or a sibling. In such a situation, you will naturally want to seek recourse. If you are considering contesting the will, there are a few things you should know first.

Who has the right to contest a will

Some people mistakenly assume that the existence of a will exempts an estate from probate court. On the contrary, there are cases in which the probate court will handle the will and estate of the deceased. Cases involving contention may fall into this, but before you formally file, you must determine whether you are eligible to. Parties such as disinherited heirs-at-law, beneficiaries and trustees are typically those who are able to contest.

Contesting based on testamentary capacity

If you are able to contest the will, you should then consider valid reasons for doing so. One that may apply is the deceased's supposed lack of testamentary capacity. This refers to circumstances in which he or she failed to understand the value or nature of assets, who should receive these assets and the legal consequences of signing a will.

Addressing undue influence

The suggestion of undue influence is another valid reason you may be able to contest a will. If your father or loved one passed at an elderly age, they were likely physically and mentally weak, as most elderly are. This can make them vulnerable to manipulation, and in some cases, such manipulation can influence a will. If a person was able to pressure the deceased into changing his or her will, contesting it on these grounds may be an option.

Revealing fraud and forgery

Perhaps the most obvious instance in which a will can be contested is in cases of fraud or forgery. If the former applies, the deceased will have been tricked into signing the will. Cases involving the latter, on the other hand, may involve estate documents that have been falsely produced or replicated.

If you are eligible to contest your father's will, and you believe one of these conditions is applicable, an attorney may be able to help. With legal representation, you can advocate for your loved one's final wishes.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map