We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

How does one decide who the personal representative is?

As this blog has talked about previously, a personal representative in a Minnesota estate case has a lot of power. Basically, he or she calls the shots about how estate property is managed and can greatly affect whether other family members and friends receive all of their inheritances.

As the recent death of Prince, the famous rocker who lived near Saint Paul, Minnesota, illustrates, confusion about who the personal representative should be can be a source of conflict and even probate litigation.

Most of the time, a court will simply appoint the personal representative whom the deceased nominated in his or her will. Of course, there can be situations in which a person did not leave a will or in which the nominated personal representative is unable or unwilling to serve. In that case, Minnesota law gives priority to certain people. Aside from someone named in a will, a person's surviving spouse has the highest priority.

In theory, however, a court can appoint any qualified person to be the personal representative of an estate if no one with legal priority is available to take on the job. A court is allowed to disqualify a person by deeming them "unsuitable" for the task after a formal hearing on the matter. In this respect, one way probate litigation begins is when a family member or a disgruntled creditor or heir asks a court o disqualify a personal representative as unsuitable.

Naming a personal representative can be a contentious issue since a personal representative wields so much power over the estate of a deceased person. When such contentions arise, it may be advisable for a Minnesota resident to seek the services of a qualified probate litigation attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map