We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

Guardianships: how 'incapacity' relates to 'competency'

Last week's post discussed how a person who wishes to write a will in Minnesota must have the "competency" to do so. The post also explained that showing "competency" to write a will is fairly easy. All a Minnesota resident need be able to do is show that he or she has the ability to know that general value of his or her property and to whom or he or she might wish to give it.

Guardianships are proceedings that are often lumped together under the title "probate litigation." In Minnesota, a person can ask for the appointment of a guardian over a loved one's property should that loved one be "incapacitated." An "incapacitated" person, under Minnesota law, is someone who lacks the ability both to make personal decisions and decisions about his or her business affairs.

Moreover, before appointing a guardian, the court must also have evidence that the person's property is in danger of being dissipated and the guardianship is otherwise necessary. Once a guardian is appointed however, that person, or institution, has broad power to handle a person's property in the manner he or she sees fit.

Although most guardians in Minnesota probably would exercise their power responsibly, some may be tempted to use that power to benefit themselves or people who are close to them. It can be very frustrating for an heir to watch a guardian spend the heir's would be inheritance irresponsibly. Fortunately, a Minnesota resident facing this situation can seek out the assistance of an experienced Minnesota probate litigation attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map