We are working remotely and all of us continue to be available by telephone or email. In alignment with national, state and local initiatives as it relates to the coronavirus, we remain open for business and have changed the way we are working for the health and well-being of our employees, and you, our valued clients and colleagues. Read more

Mason & Helmers
We Welcome Your Call
  • Phone 651-323-2548
  • Toll Free 877-389-5533

How to prevent probate spat between second wife and grown child

In Saint Paul, Minnesota, and around the country, more people have to draft estate plans that account for more than one marriage. Oftentimes, a person who is making their final plans will want to leave something both for a current spouse and adult children from any prior relationship.

On other occasions, however, a person may not want to leave anything to an adult child, instead giving that portion of inheritance to a new spouse or to other heirs and beneficiaries. When this happens, a probate dispute can result once the disinherited child discovers that they will receive nothing. Of course, this scenario works the other way as well; a second spouse may not appreciate being cut out of an inheritance in favor of grown children from a previous relationship.

In this situation, careful estate planning is paramount. A careful estate plan witnessed by people who have no stake in the outcome will better ensure that the plan will not be susceptible to a challenge in court.

Unfortunately, however, even when every precaution is taken in an estate plan, sometimes a probate dispute will occur anyway. It unfortunately can be relatively common for a dispute to break out between a current spouse and a person's adult children after that person's death. When this happens, it may be important to get more information in order to understand concepts like undue influence and other potential legal challenges to a will. Doing so can prepare family members for what to expect in a probate dispute, no matter how the problem arises.

Source: Napa Valley Register, "Can estranged son contest will?" Len Tillem and Rosie McNichol, Jan. 2, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

For Assistance with Estate Disputes & Other Matters, Contact Us

To learn more about the firm and how we can assist you,
contact Mason & Helmers in St. Paul, Minnesota. Call 651-323-2548 or 877-389-5533 (toll free) to set up an appointment.

*AV®, AV Preeminent®, Martindale-Hubbell Distinguished and Martindale-Hubbell Notable are certification marks used under license in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell® is the facilitator of a peer review
rating process. Ratings reflect the anonymous opinions of members of the bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Ratings™ fall into two categories — legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Our Attorneys

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response
Mason & Helmers

Mason & Helmers
332 Minnesota Street
Suite W-3070
St. Paul, MN 55101

Toll Free: 877-389-5533
Phone: 651-323-2548
St. Paul Law Office Map